At Newhaven Fort there's lots to explore including vast, echoing tunnels built into the chalk cliffs, and the ramparts found in the 10 acre-site. There’s also an on-site military museum that includes a recreated Air Raid shelter and an outdoor playground.
Wave Leisure Trust is a charitable not-for-profit Trust working to inspire active lifestyles through providing high quality, affordable and accessible health and fitness facilities and activities for our community.
- Wheel Chair Accessible venue
- Wheel Chair Accessible Entrance
- The Fort was built in the 18th century so physical access is limited in some areas
- The exhibition rooms all have ramps, are wheelchair accessible and are all on one level
- The shop and cafe are wheelchair accessible
- The tunnels and ramparts are not wheelchair accessible
- The Caponier has 72 stairs to the bottom
- The South of the Fort is up a hill including the Grand Magazine (wheelchair access from the second entrance) and the ramparts
- Designated Disabled Parking
- There are 2 allocated accessible car parking bays in the moat (just outside the main entrance).
- Visitors should follow the signs up Fort Rise rather than following signs to the general car park.
- Drop off and pick up access into the fort is immediately outside the entrance tunnel – please call ahead for assistance.
- There is a slope up and down to enter from both the main car park (fairly steep 30 metre slope downwards)
- The accessible bays (more gentle slope upwards) with no rails and the entrance for all is up a slope through a wide high tunnel (including the drop off point)
- Accessible Toilets
- Grab/Drop Down Rails
- Baby Changing Facilities
- The accessible toilet is in the Tea Room
- Baby changing table is in the accessible toilet
- Guide Dogs Welcome
- There are flashing lights
- There can be sudden loud noise
- We have characters in costumes
- When you buy your tickets ask for a special i-go map which highlights the exhibition rooms that are particularly noisy/dark/have flashing lights.
- During special events there can be gunfire, see website or call for more information
- There can be flashing lights in the air raid shelter (not strobe lighting)
- The 1st World War room entrance near the Caponier is dark - Please use the other entrance if you wish to avoid this
- There can be people in costume on special event days, normally heads aren't covered. Halloween costumes are used. Please see website or phone to ask for more information
Offers & Events
Newhaven, BN9 9DS